Thursday, April 3, 2008

Trip to the ER

Well ... we've made our first trip to the ER for stitches! Here's the story:

I received a call from the sitter around 1:30. She told me everything was ok, but we needed to head to the ER. She was going to meet me there. Luckily Marcus was home for the day - so I told her to stay there and Marcus would pick Aiden up and I would meet them @ the hospital. Off we all went. I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that he had hit his head from jumping, but I had no idea on what. Marcus and Aiden came into the ER and Aiden was smiling so that eased my mind. He told me he was jumping ... not on the bed, just on the floor and he hit his head on a dresser! OUCH!!! So, we checked him in and I finally asked to see it (he had a cold cloth over it). I wasn't ready to see it really. It was about an inch (3 cm is what I heard) vertical line up the center of his forehead. I started feeling a little queasy so I asked for some ice chips and a cold cloth ... for myself! The nurse came in and put some numbing cream on it. Marcus had to hold the cotton ball for about 20 minutes ... the entire time I was sitting making sure I wasn't going to faint! Finally the nurse practictioner came in and thought she could do the stitiches without the numbing stuff via a shot. WRONG! The first time she touched Aiden he was crying. I think a little out of being scared and maybe some pain. So, she said she'd give him the shot. AHHHHHHHHHH! Ok ... Marcus cannot watch needles and mommy is feeling faint ... what a combo! I did manage to stand up and go hold Aiden's hand beside daddy. I thought I was doing fine until Aiden cried very hard from the shot. She said it would burn. I haven't heard him cry that way ever! I started crying and the nurse said, "Mommy ... go sit down." OOPS! Luckily Aiden couldn't see mommy crying. I gathered myself, but decided to stay sitting. The NP kept talking to Aiden, but he didn't really care. He was just trying to figure out what was going on. Finally ... after what seemed like an eternity ... Aiden sat up to show off his new blue stitches (10 total - 8 on the outside and 2 inside). I clapped for him and told him that I was so proud of him! Next thing I know ... I am heading toward the hospital bed myself! YEP ... my lips went white, I got dizzy and came VERY close to passing out. So ... now Aiden was sitting where mommy was while mommy was on the bed with cold clothes on my head, legs and neck! Well, we sat there until my lips were pink again (about 15 minutes) and off we went! We have to return in 5 days to have them removed ... Aunt Jamie will be going with us ... she's a nurse!

Thank you for the prayers that you guys said for our family when you knew we were heading to the ER not knowing what to expect. I am sure that these 10 stitches are the first of many ... I am the mom of 2 boys!

Have a great week!
Love,
Carrie

2 comments:

Jami Liz said...

Carrie, I'm glad you are BOTH okay! That would've been waaay hard on me too! Love ya sister!!

jAMI

Lisa Furnish said...

I'm sure it won't be your last trip! I'm glad everything turned out okay.