Friday, December 18, 2009

"To Go Out With!?!"

Lately when we get home from work and school I've been making an effort to leave the TV off, leave the cell phone (and facebook) alone and focus on asking the boys some one-on-one specific questions about their day. I've really been enjoying this until yesterday. I've known for a few months that certain girls in Aiden's class like him. I even heard him use the word "girlfriend" once or twice. I asked him what "girlfriend" meant to a first grader. He said that just meant they play more together and smile a lot. Ok, I can live with that. However, yesterday when I specifically asked him about this girl he says, "Well Mom. Mason told Ali that I wanted 'to go out with' her when I really told Bryce ..." I have no clue what he said after that. He lost me at "to go out with." Lost me to the point that I didn't know if I should cry or puke. I held back the tears until he was done with the story, but quickly got up from the couch to gain my composure. I'm still trying to gain it. When did first graders start talking about going out withe someone? And where would they go!?! Ugh. I'm not ready for this. And with his handsome looks, it's going to get worse, I know.

2 comments:

LeLe said...

He IS handsome. This is what I have to look forward to, isn't it?

@mabeswife

Diane said...

Oh my, we didn't hear "going out with" until fifth grade. I asked Adam how his first day was. He said, "great, I'm going out with Laura" What! I said the same thing, "Where ya going?" So sorry...it is a new kind of pain/worry. Cute kid...it's gonna happen.
Take Care,
Diane