Friday, May 9, 2008

Gulp

This week has been odd ... memorable, but odd. Monday we saw a beautiful rainbow, Tuesday I didn't feel well at all but made it through the day and to Aiden's ball game. Wednesday I had to be off work because of not feeling well ... slept ALL DAY. Yesterday Jill and I looked out my office window to see ducks on Warner Press' roof ... we never see ducks around here! Just squirrels! Then today I woke up - felt pretty well and walked into Aiden and Logan's room. Logan was already awake and watching tv. Aiden was sound asleep. As I sat on his bed to wake him up - it hit me. Today is Aiden's last day of preschool ... ever. GULP! Ok, no tears. "Aiden ... good morning! It's time to wake up for your last day of school!" Aiden opens his eyes and says, "Forever? I don't go back to 'church school' ever after today?" AHHH! So yes, I cried. I don't really know if Aiden noticed or not. I cried more after I dropped him off. I didn't think it would bother me so much. I figured at graduation on Monday I would cry seeing him up on stage, but not today. I felt so dumb. But then I got to thinking ... that's not dumb! I am simply a mother crying because she is so very proud of what her son has become in the last 5 (yes, another gulp ... he'll be 5 May 21) years. A mother that has learned so much from that son in 5 years. It's amazing how much he has learned - good and bad - in just this past year. If he calls me 'DUDE' one more time ... AHHH! But then sometimes it strikes me as being so funny. He is an encourager and loves to hear about Jesus. He likes to tell me whether God or Jesus or both made the sunny days, the rainy days, the rainbows ... on and on. They both have specific roles in his mind. It amazes me how much he retains. He remembers things that Marcus and I have to struggle to remember! SCARY! I could go on and on. I know this is just another chapter of life ... one of many ... and these tears are probably just a sampling of what tears are to come. Now, if I can just pick up the phone to call and see how his last day was ... double GULP!

Below: Aiden's first day of Preschool Sept 07.Aiden's last day of Preschool: May 9,2008

2 comments:

Steph Wilson said...

Logan looks crushed in that last photo. Kinda like he's sad because his brother didn't want a kiss goodbye. Aiden is growing up though. Carrie, that's a good thing. (at least until he hits his teen years)
Steph

jamiekoontz said...

There is such a good series of pictures taken on that step!