Monday, November 12, 2007

The Missing Keys


Jamie, my sister that is expecting a son in the next 2 weeks, spent the night with me and the boys on Thursday evening. I had Stats class until 10 and she watched the boys. Both of our husbands were out of town, so we made a slumber party out of it. Although, not much slumber was had by anyone as Jamie's dog, Lucy Lui (a Chinese Crested Hairless that might weigh 10 pounds) thought that she could take on my 90 pound Chocolate Lab, Dakota. I think she was 'on guard' all night. Lucy also wakes at every sound toddlers make while sleeping or getting up to use the potty at 1 am. ANYWAY ... it was a long night and none of us knew how long of a morning Friday would turn out to be. Read on.


The boys and I head out the door about 8:15. Jamie knows how to lock up and such, so I figure she is fine. Well, I get a call from Jamie about 9 that she has been searching for her keys since 8:30 with no luck. I ask her if the boys had played with them and she said that she hadn't seen either one with them so she was pretty sure they hadn't. She has a spare set, but they were with Nick (her hubby) in St. Louis. AHHHH! I ran home about 10 because at this point Jamie was in a panic. She called our dad and he came over to help about 10:30. We moved every piece of furniture, we shuffled all the leaves, we checked inside shoes, the fridge, the trash ... you name it! We also called AAA to come unlock her car with the hopes that she had dropped them in the back seat. No luck. I finally called Valerie, our sitter, and asked her to bring Aiden to the house after she picked him up from school. I told her the situation and that we were pretty sure he didn't ever have them, but we had to try. Valerie brings Aiden to the house, he walks in without saying a word to us, goes into my bedroom to a chest in front of my bed that holds sweaters, lifts the lid and there were the keys. He places a key ring around his finger and dangles them in front of Jamie. As calmly as I could, I said, "Aiden - what do you need to say to Jamie?" With the most proud look on his face and in his best hero voice he says, "YOU'RE WELCOME!" It was as if he just felt that he had saved the day and we needed to be singing his praises! I was trying not to laugh while I explained to him that Jamie had been crying because she had some places she had to be and that he needed tell her that he was sorry. He got very serious and did apologize to Jamie and hugged her. He walked out the door without saying another word and Valerie said he was very quiet for the next hour.


I hope he learned his lesson ...

0 comments: